Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Debate

I guess this is kind of Part 2 to my previous blog about relationships. I hope I do not sound too negative towards the people in my story, but my prayer is that we will remember that “no one has ever seen GOD; but if we love one another, GOD lives in us and his love is made complete in us.” (1 John 4:12)

I do not remember the exact year in school, but I think it was seventh or eighth grade. A small debate had erupted before class, as they did on most days, between a couple of hard-headed youth (myself included). The topic for the day? Salvation. In our youth, we were sure that we were right about most topics of discussion, so theology was no exception. I was a Catholic from the North while my counterpart was a conservative evangelical from the South that would have felt victorious in the debate if he could have baptized me through full immersion right then and there. Instead, he settled for telling me that I was going to Hell, because my belief system did not fully match his. Wow.

Now, I do not want to share this story to show how wrong this other kid was, because I was just as involved in the debate as he. I was also just as judgmental towards him as he was to me. I am just saddened by the fact that several years later I am seeing the same "conversation" happening among people well older than seventh graders. How did we get to the point where we felt the need to fight with others to get them to believe in what we believe? Maybe a better question to ask: Do we really think that verbally fighting with others is the best way to invite others to investigate a possible relationship with Jesus? Are you kidding me?

It was my Junior(ish) year in college when I decided to really take my faith in God seriously. My dear friend and mentor, Mike, had described it as putting on my walking shoes. I had always believed in God, and I had heard and believed that Jesus was the Son of God, but I had not attempted to live out my faith up to this point in my life. I went to church for the most part, but I had not gone in 3 or 4 years. I tried to read the Bible at times, but I mostly found it boring and difficult to relate.

So why did I decide to “put on my walking shoes” and allow God to transform me? It was because of relationships. It was late night conversations with roommates who were genuinely concerned for my life, here and now. It was people that had truly befriended me, because we shared common interest and enjoyed spending time together. Spiritual conversations came out of already established foundations of companionship. It was not because of people that were only concerned with converting me as if I was a trophy to be won.

As GOD loves us, let that love flow through us in such a way that all people can see the Father.

No comments: