Friday, May 14, 2010

Two Roads Diverged into a Yellow Wood…

Choices. We are faced with choices every day. Do I hit the snooze button one more time? Should I call in sick to work? Can we afford this vacation?

We are constantly making decisions about these options whether they are as simple as sleeping in or as complex as moving to a different country. About ten years ago, I was hit with a big choice of whether or not to change colleges and move to a different city.

I was about half way through my first year at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, and I did not like the direction that my life was heading. I spent a lot of time partying and not a lot of time studying or going to class. I was also going in the opposite direction of God, and I knew that I needed to make some changes. I started praying that God would give me some other options, and he brought me to Murfreesboro, TN and more specifically Middle Tennessee State University. Now that I was in a new place, I had another big decision to make in my life. With this new beginning, was I going to continue on the same path of living my life, or was I going to choose a new path? I decided to choose a new path.

Towards the end of the book of Deuteronomy in the Bible, Moses is speaking to the Israelites right before he tells them that Joshua, not himself, will be the one to lead them into the land promised to them. He died not too long after speaking these words to the people. Listen to what he says:

“Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach. It is not up in heaven, so that you have to ask, ‘Who will ascend into heaven to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?’ Nor is it beyond the sea, so that you have to ask, ‘Who will cross the sea to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?’ No, the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it.

See, I set before you today life and prosperity, death and destruction. For I command you today to love the Lord your God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commands, decrees and laws; then you will live and increase, and the Lord your God will bless you in the land you are entering to possess.

But if your heart turns away and you are not obedient, and if you are drawn away to bow down to other gods and worship them, I declare to you this day that you will certainly be destroyed. You will not live long in the land you are crossing the Jordan to enter and possess.

This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the Lord is your life, and he will give you many years in the land he swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.”

So as we go about our day-to-day choices and come to forks in the road, let us choose the path of life. It might be the road less travelled and more difficult to follow, but choosing life and blessings over death and curses will make all the difference.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great thoughts, brother! I am enjoying your writing. Things are going well here in Zambia. I am working with 35 students. One of the great things I am getting to do is encouraging them in their mentoring of newer students who just arrived on campus this week. It is great to see people putting what they are learning into practice within the day of gaining the new insight!

Thanks for putting the link to my blog on your site. I need to figure out how to do that on mine. Also, I suggest you Google John Mark Hicks' site and put him in your list. He has some awesome insights on his blog.